Pages

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Short Tutorial on Making Diamonds

I have been wanting to do this tutorial for a while now and thought now would be a good time to do so......I am making a EPP quilt using diamond shapes.....this is by no means the only way to do these, this is just the way that I do them......my diamonds are 1 1/2 inches from point to point on the sides.....I printed them out and then cut them out.......I have 1020.......these will last a long time as they are reusable the way that I do them.......I do not stitch through the paper as that is more work later on......and since I do not baste through the paper I can leave my basting stitches in.....which cuts down on the steps and I am all for saving a few steps......this quilt is not for me since it is not in my colors......these are soft and romantic and will be for a special someone......I am using POM POM De Paris with pink and banana........I cut 2 1/2 inch squares to use.....some people cut out diamond shapes, but I find this quicker......you can do this step however you would like.....
Step One: put paper on fabric at an angle....tip of diamond pointing to tip of square like so....
Next fold the right side over onto the paper.....then do the same for the left side......
 Now take the first stitch......make two tiny stitches and make sure you do not go through the paper.....
 Once you have the first stitches in you will turn your diamond and fold the middle section down and place two small stitches where the fabric meets......be sure and catch both layers in your stitch....pull thread until it is stable.....do not pull it tight as it will bend your shape....if this happens loosen the thread before moving on.....
 After you have made this stitch it is time to go to the top of the diamond once again and fold the fabric over....then make two more small stitches....
 Now turn the diamond and fold the fabric over again just like you did the first time......make two stitches.....
 Pull the thread through and make two more tiny stitches at the top of the diamond where you started....this last step is important as you make a knot but do not cut the thread.......below is how I make my knot and then add another diamond until you have a string of diamonds.....this keeps you from having to stop and start all over each time......depending on your thread length you can do about 10 to 12 diamonds per thread cut......I use about 1 1/2 yds of thread......I use quilting thread in one strand and I have not had any problem with the length....you can use the length that you are comfortable with.......


 To make the knot in the above pic take your lead thread (the one with the over lap of thread) and wrap it around the needle from the right side.....then take the single thread and wrap it from the left to the right side.....pull the needle out of the fabric and pull the thread until it forms the knot......this knot will lay flat and keep your stitches safe.....leave a small distance and start another diamond.....when you come to the end of your thread you will have a chain of diamonds like this.......

 I hope this tutorial is a help to you......I also use this same technique on my hexi's that I make......it is easy and I can whip them out pretty fast.....tomorrow I will be sharing a tutorial for a pin cushion that I make with a canning jar.......
Until next time,
Wendy

3 comments:

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Now that looks like a lot of work! Can't wait to see what you create!

Nightengale said...

Saw your post and decided to check out your blog! Thank you for your comment and help for someone new! How do you print out the shapes...what site do you use to do this?

Nightengale said...

Hi again....I left you a post on the flikr site....about fiskars hexagon punch....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails